For the last few weeks I’ve been building a deck. My “bible” is the Home Depot Decks 1-2-3 book, which does a fairly good job of explaining how to build a deck to someone with reasonable carpentry skills.
This is actually only my second carpentry project – the first being some shelves in the garage.
If there’s anything I have learned, it’s the following:
- Don’t be afraid to buy the right tools.
- You will need at least two drills (corded and cordless). You will need a cordless one for difficult areas, and a corded one for the screw that won’t go in or the hole that won’t appear.
- You always need more screws/nails.
- Measure twice, cut once.
- Your posts will try to sink to the centre of the earth. There is nothing you can do to stop it, so you may as well make the posts stick further out of the ground in anticipation.
- If you are British, get some SPF-50 and a hat.